About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Waiting for the Rise

With yesterday being Good Friday, I am reminded of how today would have been a day of waiting for all of Jesus' loved ones... And how many of them lost hope and felt despair. Although their waiting only lasted three days, I'm sure it felt much longer than that.

When I find myself anxious about my condition, this verse has helped me to remember that although my head is feeling despair, His peace brings hope and strength. "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

Thank you for the prayers for my uncle. He had an artery that was 95% blocked, but they have cleared it up. He has come off of life support and is responding wonderfully. I am so thankful to God that He has allowed the family to have such a blessing. We will not fully know the effects of the heart attack and lack of oxygen for another day or two, but we are so thankful for the recovery he has already had.

As for me, I did my time at the sleep clinic again this week. Had to stay overnight Tuesday night and then all day Wednesday. This allowed me 4 naps on Wednesday... not too rough. :-) I won't know the results for another week or so.

I also had an appt with my family doctor, who happened to be studying with my cardiologist the day we found the heart failure. She was so encouraging and optimistic that I could get better. I was really thankful. She seemed very pleased with all my test results and daily activities. I also went to the Heart Failure Clinic on Thursday where they doubled my medication. It always makes me a little tired, but I was prepared for that this time. The nurses at the clinic are so supportive (and I think they all know me by name). I am so thankful that God has been blessing me with such good care. In fact, my family doctor hugged me before I left and the nurse at the clinic called me on Friday just to check on me and see how my uncle was doing. They are a blessing in a difficult time.

Of course my blood pressure is extremely low (last night it fell to 79/59), but I am not feeling hardly any side effects. I have had to take quite a few rests and naps the last few days, but am feeling no pain, just tired. In fact, the worst side effect I have had is that my hair has started falling out in big clumps. :-( But I just started a multivitamin that I am praying will help with that. :-)

One last thing that has been on my mind. This condition has prevented me from being at several of my loved ones' events (Grady's baptism, Katrina's shower, Aaron's Recital, etc.). My heart is with you and I am hoping I will be well soon enough to get back to the blessings of sharing in your lives. Thank you for being such wonderful friends and family.

Happy Easter to everyone and I hope to see you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment