About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

SHAFT

To all my college buddies, the shaft has struck again...

One side effect of heart failure is sleep apnea. So, the doctor wanted me to go to a sleep clinic to be tested for sleep apnea because if I have even a little of it, my heart would suffer. So last night Ray and I packed my bag and headed to the clinic. They hooked me up to about 50 wires, squirted goo all over my head and hair, stuck my finger in a press, and shoved some tubes up my nose and mouth so they could monitor me while I had a comfortable sleep. :-) They didn't get me in bed until 11 and then I didn't get asleep until after midnight.

At 2 in the morning I was awaken to a bunch of beeping and then total darkness. THE POWER WENT OUT!! The nurse came in to check on me and told me that she wouldn't be able to hear or see me if I needed anything. She then came in a little later and told me they didn't know when the power would be back on and that the entire block was out and that if I wanted to go home, I could. I decided to wait it out to see if it came back on (plus I didn't want to wake someone up at 2 in the morning to pick me up). Then a little later my machine started beeping FOREVER and the nurse couldn't hear them so they just kept beeping. Finally around 4 I got up to use the bathroom, only to discover it was pitch black in the restroom and the toilet didn't flush. I also noticed the few backup lights they did have in the office were getting dimmer by the minute. The realization that soon I was going to be in total darkness in the clinic prompted me to call and wake my Dad to come pick me up.

Dad brought me home completely exhausted. Then, I had to shower before I could go to bed because my hair was full of goo from the clinic. Needless to say I hit the bed around six and snoozed for several hours.

This is not how you want to spend your nights when you are already in heart failure!! LOL!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that is the shaft! I hope you are feeling well! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to find you guys! But I can not believe the changes that have come into your lives. I am so glad you have Ray, Missy! I know he will take good care of you! I pray that the doctors know how to help you, so you can overcome this challenge! I do have to chuckle a little about your sleep test! How stressful that must have been, which I am sure is the exact opposite of what you needed! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, was this an April Fools? I can't imagine being in that situation!!

    ReplyDelete