About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

When it rains, it pours...

Thank you again to everyone who has been keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I have been so surrounded in love and prayers that some days I feel I am just basking in the beauty of life. Thank you for helping me to forget the troubles facing us and to embrace love and comfort.

Each day, my heart is feeling a little stronger. I had an appt with the family doctor today, who was there when we found out about the heart failure. She was so encouraging and supportive and was very optimistic that everything was progressing well. She said that when I see the cardiologist at the beginning of June, we should know what the next steps will be.

Some of you may know that my uncle (my Mom's brother) was hit and killed by a drunk driver a few months ago. Last night, another uncle (another of my Mom's brothers) had a massive heart attack. They were able to revive him after 4 shocks and have now sedated him for the next 48 hours in order to cool his body temperature to 90 degrees to try to preserve as much of the body's organs/muscles as possible. Please remember the family in your prayers. We will not know the extent of the damage for a few days. But our hearts are hurting.

On our way home from the hospital last night, I was thinking how so many people go through their normal lives thinking it is a normal day with nothing significant happening. I am so thankful that God has opened my eyes to see that at the same time, some people are hurting and facing desperate situations where they need so much love and support. I hope God is growing me into a person that will respond to those needs and love those whose worlds are being challenged.

Well, tonight will be another attempt at the sleep clinic. Hopefully it will go a little better than last time (but just in case, I am packing a flashlight)! I also have a meeting at the Heart Failure Clinic on Thursday to have my medication increased.

Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...it is too easy to overlook what is going on in the lives of those around us. Thank you for reminding me of this. I will be looking forward to hearing how tonight goes...after all you had to go through that 1st time. It wasn't an April Fools was it? It sounded so crazy!

    ReplyDelete