About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hospital Visit

Lately I have been so looking forward to the nice hot weather. Except I didn't react to it like I thought I would...

On Thursday they doubled my medication. I was actually feeling not too bad on Thursday and enjoyed visiting with Showers. Then Friday morning I had a headache and was taking it easy. I got rid of the headache in the morning and decided to take a walk with Ray on his lunch break. A combination of the hot weather and walking a little too far left me extremely light headed. I made it back to the house just in time to have Ray call 911. When they arrived my blood pressure had bottomed out. They did an EKG and gave me oxygen. I was extremely close to passing out but I was hanging on for dear life. They strapped me in the ambulance and took me to Grant. I bottomed out again at Grant. They weren't sure why, but suspected it was a combination of the medicine increase and the hot weather.

My husband was incredible and calm during the entire ordeal, but I have to admit that we were extremely scared and had a hard time staying focused. I just kept praying that God would give me strength.

We stayed the night in the hospital and my blood pressure finally came back up. They lowered my dose a little and sent me home this afternoon.

It was a little tough coming home... it seems to bring back all the memories of it happening. We are extremely tired and I'm really not feeling too well either. The doctors said it may take a few days to get back on my feet. It has been a set back, but I know God has a plan and that He is giving us strength to push through our fear and pain. Please remember us in your thoughts and prayers. Our first trip to the hospital was a rough one... not to mention all my neighbors saw me getting drug out of the house by the squad on a cot. The firefighters were great and encouraging, which made a tough situation a little less tough.

Thanks to my family who also encouraged and uplifted us through this tough time. We have so many blessings and are so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment