About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Home Sweet Home

It feels amazing to be back in my own home... and bed! :-) Yesterday we were finally released from the hospital. They have put me on a higher dose of the heart meds and turned my pump speed in hopes that my passing out episodes will be decreased. They are still not sure why I am passing out, but they are not too worried since I have a defibrilator in my chest that will "shock" me if anything goes too far. Is that supposed to make me feel better?? LOL

The excitement of God's miracle of healing has not lessened. Thank you to each of you who has told my story. All glory be to Him. We are so thankful and excited to see what He has in store for me. This is an excerpt from my reading this morning, " In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power to him forever!" 1 Peter 5:10-11 Often times, the restoration comes in a spiritual and emotional form, but for me, He gave me physical restoration as well. I am so humbled by His gift and that I was able to be a part of His work. Of course, I wish the suffering wouldn't have been so tough, but you can't fault a girl for not wanting to be a hospital regular. LOL I love that God chose to heal me in a way that did not enable to doctors to take any credit. I wasn't on heart meds (beta blockers) and I had JUST had a heart test done a week prior to the not-transplant that said my heart function was 20%. I choose to believe God healed me on the table! How awesome is that!!!

Being home is great! And a little tiring. LOL Or it might be the new meds and pump speed that are wearing me out. Either way, I am going to try to get a ton of rest this week. However, my friends and little sister are taking me out this weekend for my birthday, my brother-in-law is bringing home my new nephew from China, and a dear friend is being baptized. It will be a little busy. But I will wear a smile because I am so thankful to be home and able to be a part of the many lives that have walked my struggle with me. I can't say thank you enough for how wonderful and dear to me each of you have been.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    Wow, what an awesome feeling!! Just to know that your heart was only working 20% of the time and then you are completely healed... WOW, God is good that is for sure!!

    Enjoy your buys weekend, but don't over do it. Sounds like everyone is going to enjoy having you around too : )

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met your family in the waiting room the night of your healing. left my business card with one of the ladies that came to pray that night.I would like you to come be on a Christian morning devotional show called Grace For Today that is produced in Lima Ohio. Please contact me if you are interested. sketner@wtlw.com
    www.wtlw.com WE Are more then overcomers by the Blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony!!!AMen and AMen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We met you at the hospital you come in and talked to my father before he got his
    VAD. We come up to see you today to realize that you had went home. We are so happy for you! We will keep updated on you through this blog and hope to hear from you when your life slows down. God is great and has given you a great blessing! God bless you, Tina, Linda and Chuck Foster

    ReplyDelete