About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Stories

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes. I can truly say it was the best birthday of my life, because I made it to it. :-) There is an appreciation that comes with each day for me. I was just thinking how through my illness, there were several mornings I woke and had to tell myself, "This is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it." Now I wake up every morning rejoicing! ... Ok, maybe not EVERY morning. LOL!

Thank you to each of you who has shared my story. It is so awesome and humbling to be a part of God's blessing. As friends and family have visited and called, they have been telling me stories of how it touched their lives or how they found out, or that we knew someone in common. If you have a story to tell, I would LOVE to hear it. PLEASE leave a comment to this post (you can do it anonymously if you don't have an account) and let us all share the blessings together.

Thursday I have an appointment with the cardiologist. I believe she will be doubling my heart meds. It will make for a difficult weekend, but my body seems to be adjusting to the meds and I feel a little better every day. In fact, this weekend I was able to sit through a movie and yesterday my father-in-law had surgery, and I was able to sit at the hospital all day (well, at least I wasn't IN the hospital LOL).

Also, I have found a new excitement in my heart as my family keeps growing. Sunday I got to finally see my new nephew (my sister adopted a baby boy from China). Friday my sister will be having another little boy. And to top it off, we just found out that my little sister is expecting a little bundle later this year as well. You can't imagine my joy that I will get to share in their lives!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Melissa! It is so awesome to just know you and share in this wonderful blessing with you. I still get so filled with emotion when I think about how awesome God is and how He healed you. A friend of mine sent me an email that I had forwarded to her on April 15, 2009. This is what it said "I wanted to share this with you. I found this on the blog of a friend who is dealing with heart failure. She got it from a book that her sister gave her. I’m glad she is a believer and I’m believing for her complete healing. She just found out about a month ago that her heart is only operating at 15% capacity. So please keep her lifted in your prayers. " And to know that glorious Monday morning during my prayer time, your name was placed in my mind. I called out to God for your complete healing again. Then I got the call from Annie, that you were going to receive a new heart. I said Thank You God, You heal her in Your own way. But that Tuesday morning when I saw Annie's email. I never got passed the part that "her heart healed itself" and I began to give all praise to God! I couldn't contain myself! It was like He healed me, by healing you! My faith soared to new levels because I know that if He can do that, nothing is impossible. No problem is too big and no trouble is to much to bear. I'm still sharing your story because it means so much to me just to know you and share in this wonderful blessing. And you're touching so many lives! Happy Happy Birthday!! You are loved!

    Schlaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) Birthday!

    I, like so many others, consider it a privilege to call you friend and witness God's healing hand in your life. I have shared your story with so many people and it has oppened many opportunities to witness and share my faith.

    To God alone be the glory for the healing of your heart, but I believe that the impact would have truely been dimmed without your unwavering faith through it all. You are an inspiration to a countless number of people. Some that you know and many you will never know (at least not in THIS life).

    Enjoy being at home and your growing family. You remain in my prayers!

    Love,
    Celena

    ReplyDelete