About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

A not so happy start to the new year (from Ray)

So guess where I'm sitting this morning? You guessed it - THE HOSPITAL!

We came in yesterday morning for bleeding. Yep, Missy's been bleeing again, with lots of intense cramps in the mornings. Yesterday afternoon, I helped her to the restroom, and thank God for the shower chair. She sat down on the chair, then there was an alarm which turned out to be vtach, and she passed out. I had to catch her so her head wouldn't hit the wall and so she wouldn't fall on the floor. After I yelled for help (her nurse was right behind me and I didn't realize it), there were about 20 people milling about the room. Luckily, she came back and they didn't need to use the defibrilator, and the ICD didn't fire because the rythm wasn't bad enough for long enough.

Needless to say, we're a bit exhausted today, and Missy can't get out of bed for a while. We're both thinking they'll probably keep her until the transplant, which isn't unusual.

Keep praying friends!

3 comments:

  1. Please tell Melissa I am keeping her in my daily prayers. May her new heart arrive very soon. God is in control.

    I'm a heart tx recipient myself, in NE Ohio. Please holler if you need ANYTHING.

    DAP

    http://My2ndHeartBeat.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking alot about Melissa. Hoping and praying that 2010 will be a healthy and happy one for the both of you. Keeping Melissa in my prayers as she awaits her new heart!!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I hope she gets a new heart, and a new leash on life very soon. I wish I was there to help, sending my love! When you guys are all better I say you celebrate with a trip to Hawaii!!!

    ReplyDelete