About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Well Taken Care Of

Well, we had a bumpy weekend with the code on Saturday. My doctors think that since I am bleeding again, my pump emptied my heart of blood a little too quickly and it sent my heart into a morbid rhythm (vtach). I am doing well and seemed to have recovered quickly... although my husband, parents, and siblings still seem a little shaken up. Please remember that my loved ones are plodding through this illness with me and that they need your support as well. I really appreciate everyone who has called, sent cards, meals, visited, etc. to my family and friends.

I think in a previous post I had talked about how there were two neighbors here at the hospital that passed away over Christmas. Well, the staff here at OSU are so loving and caring and have been deeply touched by that loss. So, when I had my code on Saturday, the staff here really surrounded me and made me feel not only that they were watching over me, but that they really cared about me and would do whatever they possibly could to protect me. In fact, they haven't hardly left me alone since it happened. I cannot tell you what a blessing this staff has been for me. I only hope that in some way I can give back to them the warmness that they have given to me. Sometimes it is humiliating to be in the hospital and all sense of modesty and self-sufficiency goes out the window. However, the truly caring staff here at OSU have made me feel comfortable and have encouraged me to keep pushing myself to get better. Thank you to everyone at OSU who have become such a blessing in my life. I am back to being able to walk a mile a day. And the doctors are putting me on hormones to try to stop the bleeding. I will be here at the hospital for a while and am really praying that the "perfect" heart arrives soon. I am top of the list until Jan 15. :-)

Thank you to Mom, Dad, Mary & Harrison, Amy & Derek, Nikki & David, Tim, Lesley & Tracy, and Debbie who have all come to visit and made this hospital stay a little more bearable. Please continue to keep us and my nephew in your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa.
    So sorry to hear about the bumpy road that you encountered, but it sounds like God is definitely on your side and watching over you. I am truly keeping you in my prayers as well as your family. I pray that you will soon have that "perfect" heart.

    God Bless,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    Those codes are scary things. I went through over a 100 in 2 weeks prior to my Tx. Yesterday I was close enough to "hear" and see one in action, the Dr's & nurses running, working, crying .... very emotional for me.

    I had to laugh about your "sense of modesty" comment ..... there is no such thing in the hospital.

    Continued prayers from here. (Lots of them)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    Thank you for telling me about your blog. You truely are a beautiful person with a great faith. Thanks for sharing.

    Sheila (one of your nurses)

    ReplyDelete