About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rejoicing

"I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 11:19

There has been so much rejoicing and praising of God here in the hospital this week. By now you probably know that although we thought God was blessing us with the miracle of a heart transplant, He blessed us with so much more. Isn't it just like our loving God to take a miracle and make it so much better. I am so humbled to be a part of His amazing grace and mercy.

As you can imagine, the doctors and staff are stunned. Although they can't figure it out, I know whom I have believed in and am persuaded that He is able! My sister likened it to Jacob having to put Isaac on the altar and holding the knife before God stepped in and took away the sacrifice. He is so good.

As you can imagine, it has been a roller coaster of a ride. One that has forever changed our hearts and lives. We are also in awe of how bathed in prayers we have been and are certain that it is because of each one of your prayers that we have been healed!

So, the doctors' plans are to put me on heart medication (if you can believe it, I was not on any heart medicine because the cardiologist had told me there was no way that my heart would get better so there was no reason to take it). Then in a few weeks they are going to start turning down my pump and doing stress tests to see how my heart handles it. If all goes as well as they think it will, they are planning to take the pump out in about 6 weeks. It will be the first time at OSU that they will take OUT a pump!! So exciting.

It is so difficult to put into writing what we have been a part of. We are so humbled and excited. Thank you to everyone who has prayed and sent encouragement. We are rejoicing with you!

6 comments:

  1. The power of prayer is an amazing thing. Sounds like you had/have alot of prayer warriors and the news that your husband and now you are sharing with all of us is truly amazing. If people out there doubt that there is a God then they definitely need to take a look at your unbelievable story. God is truly the almighty healer. Keeping you in my prayers, but in the meantime I will be rejoicing with you and the rest of your family, friends, doctors and nurses!!

    Hugs & Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. To one jubilent sister from another! We are back home and I just can't praise God enough. I love telling your story and pray I NEVER run out of opportunities to do so for the glory God receives in it! I am still in awe that God's perfect timing was a plan that allowed me to be there and be such a close part of. Being in that meeting when the doctor's announced your miracle will forever burn in my memory and live in my soul!! I love you guys and will continue to pray expectantly for great mercy on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Missy and Ray. I love that verse from Ezekiel. It certainly speaks to the human condition and our inability to do anything. That's why only God makes us alive with a brand new heart. Sola Deo Gloria. So enough of my Calvinistic discourse. I am truly happy for you. I have great respect and love for you two. Thank you for all the ways you have given of yourselves to my family. Bill W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melissa,

    Thank you so much for allowing me to spend some time visiting with you last night. It was so wonderful to hear your amazing story and be able to rejoice with you over God's healing and His great goodness.

    Your spirit and dependence on God has reminded me that we all need to be dependent on Him.

    I will continue to pray that your heart will remain strong and that soon you will be without you LVAD.

    Lots of love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy to have read this. If your doc's ever (can) give you an explanation on how you healed, I'd like to hear it. In the past couple of years I have met many people that had an LVAD, but never one that was reversed.

    I'm guessing it's simply God's plan for you. He touched your heart in ways we may never know.

    Be well and God Bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,

    I and all of my friends and prayer partners that I've shared your story with are all rejoicing with you and your family!!

    We love you and continue to lift you up in our prayers!

    There's nobody like Jesus! We thank God for Jesus and His awesome healing power!

    ReplyDelete