About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Another Tough Weekend

It was another rough weekend around our house. I seemed to have caught the stomach flu yesterday and we had a really rough time with it. We called the squad last night again because as you can imagine, getting sick is really hard on your heart. They did an EKG and checked all my vitals and thought I was pretty stable, so I didn't go back to the hospital. They thought the pain in my chest was muscular pain from getting sick and not from the heart failure. It was tough for us because we are still trying to learn when to be cautious and when to just wait out the storm. Ray gave me lots of nausea medicine last night and I finally felt better. Today has been a day of rest and recovery.

Once again, God provided me today with a devotional that was written just for me:

When racked with physical pain, we need the Comforter. Some pain can be endured, but the sharp fangs of certain pains push into the marrow of our nature and horribly bore their ways through the brain and the spirit. For such pains, much grace is needed. When your head throbs, when your heart palpitates, when your system is upset, it is natural to say with Jacob, "All these things are against me." We complain of providence, but this is the time to apply the promise with power. "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Is 41:10) This promise, like the nightingale's song, is most sweet when heard in the night season.

It is so great to know that we have such a promise to carry us through the tough times. We would really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment