About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Update (from Ray)

Happy Mother's Day!

After my post yesterday, there was a lot that happened. Missy woke up around 11:30pm with a queasy stomach. Our nurse came in and gave her some IV anti-nausea medicine, after which Missy's BP crashed very quickly.

After some frantic activity with several nurses and the on-call doctor, we moved up to the cardiac floor, which is a step below the ICU. As you've read already, Missy hasn't been sleeping well. Last night was even more extreme. She was so exhausted from being pricked and prodded, but could not seem to fall asleep. Finally, around 5:30am this morning, she was able to rest. Of course you never get a full 8 hours of sleep in a hospital because of the vital sign checks and blood draws, so she napped a lot during the day.

Her mom volunteered to spend her Mother's Day night at the hospital so I could come home and crash; as I was leaving, Missy was on her way to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment