About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Not Your Typical Saturday (from Ray)

This morning I was awakened by my cell phone a little after 5:00am. It was Missy's nurse, saying she was awake, alert and ready for a visitor. So, after a long, scary day yesterday, Saturday started out much brighter (even though the sun wasn't yet up).

Missy is doing MUCH better today, thanks to the able ICU staff and her team of doctors as well as your support and prayers. Luckily, Missy doesn't remember much from her first anesthetization, but most of the rest of us remember keenly.

She's certainly an entertaining "drunk." At one point one of her doctors came in to check up on her, and she looked right at him and said, "What the heck happened to me?" He tried to explain, but she said, "You did it to me!" Laughter ensued.

Later, her family doctor came by and Missy looked at her and said, "What are YOU doing in the ICU?" Her doctor replied quickly, "I work here. What are you doing in the ICU?"

After trying to awaken her for nearly 6 hours, we all got a good laugh when Amy and Tim walked in: she look up and shouted happily, "Lulu!" and "Timmy's here!" after which she recognized the rest of us: Mom, Nikki, Ken and I.

So, long story short, she's on a blood thinner for the clot and, if her blood work comes back with the right numbers tomorrow, she'll get to go home!

We'll update again once she's back at home. Thanks again for your visits, love, support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment