About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Round 2 (from Ray)

The last week has certainly been trying. Last Friday, Missy started vomiting, and it hasn't really stopped . On top of that, she now has restless legs. Heart failure, vomiting and RLS make for VERY little sleep (only a few hours a night). After a visit to her family doctor, she tried a few prescriptions to help but couldn't keep them down. When she called the doctor's office, she said to go to the ER. So, on Wednesday they admitted her and are currently stumped as to why she's so sick. They are giving her a few different anti-nausea medications, and she finally fell asleep around 8:30 this evening. We're hoping she'll have a sound night's sleep.

In the process of ruling out a few things that could have caused the nausea, they found a spot in her heart, which could be a blood clot. Even though she wasn't in for a heart issue this round, it's a huge blessing that her doctors found it. To verify, though, they have to put her under "twilight" anesthetic and stick a scope down her throat so they can do an echo cardiogram from behind the heart. Once that's done, they should have a better idea of whether or not it is truly a clot.

Thanks for your continued prayers and support. Mom and Amy, thanks SO MUCH for staying overnight at the hospital so I could get some sleep. Ken, thanks for extending your typical week with us. Thanks to everyone who visited as well - we couldn't make it through without your love, prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment