About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, May 8, 2009

Update (from Ray)

Well, today started out fine. Missy slept well (for the most part) last night, but she couldn't eat anything past midnight because of today's echo. She had a lot of visitors throughout the day, then at 2:00pm we went down so they could begin the TE echo.

All was ok until I was the only person in the waiting room, and I heard a code blue called for the area I knew she was in. About 20 minutes later, a chaplain came out and said there were a few complications but that the doctor was stabilizing her. It turns out that, because of the medications she's been on and that she's never been under anesthetic, everything collided in her system, causing her to stop breathing. They tried intubating, but ended up getting the tube in her esophagus, pumping air into her stomach instead of her lungs. After a VERY scary and emotional few hours, I am happy to report that she is doing much better. She's spending the night in the ICU (which means I'm sleeping in a waiting room), and we'll know more concrete info about her recovery tomorrow morning.

The doctor did get enough time with the scope to confirm the clot, so they are starting her on even more medication to dissolve the existing clot and prevent future ones.

I cannot express enough gratitude to everyone who's been here today, especially Missy's mom and dad. They've been amazingly strong through this week. Having my mom and dad here was certainly comforting this afternoon as well.

Missy's dad and I were talking yesterday, and we know God has a plan for this, but it's just so difficult to see how this fits in right now. I'm trying to hold on to God's promise in Jeremiah, but it's pretty tough right now.

"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen." (Jeremiah 29:11-12, The Message)

Your continued prayers are certainly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment