About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blessings and Visitors

This week I have had so many blessings and visitors. There have been so many conversations this week that I have been so grateful to have. It has reassured me that God is watching over me and that He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me. (In fact, a lot of people - including me - are praying expecting God to give me a totally healed heart.)

The week started off with our water heater going bad. Poor Ray is trying to take care of me and the house and everything else so that I won't stress. We were so thankful our Dads were here to help put in a new one... did I mention it was $700?!?!?

Again, I had a wonderful conversation with Ray's Mom. Then with my Dad, Ray, my Mom, my sisters. It is amazing how God has surrounded me with love through this tough time.

My sister and her beautiful girls came to visit yesterday. Please pray for her family, as they are about to have some challenges ahead. But I have never seen any situation that she couldn't handle. I look up to her in so many ways and am so thankful to be a part of her life. I think it was God calling her back to Columbus so that we could grow our relationship.

Then one of my old trombone students and his mom stopped over for a visit. They have been wonderful friends through this (not to mention she is so helpful when we lock ourselves out of the house:-). I am so proud of my student, he is going to march with the Blue Jackets this summer. It's an absolutely amazing opportunity and I am so blessed to get to be a part of it. I wish I would have told him how proud of him I was... but sometimes boys get a little uncomfortable with an outpouring of emotions. :-) So, I think I'll send him a card. :-)

Well, if you read all this way to see how I am doing physically, I am pretty good. I went to the Heart Failure Clinic again on Thursday and they gave me more Lasix because my legs and stomach were still swollen. I had a little bit of a funny reaction to it, but am doing fine. Very surprisingly, my legs are still swollen, but I am breathing MUCH better. So, they said to just keep my legs elevated and hopefully the swelling will go down. My stomach has been a little nauseous lately and my restless legs have been really tough at night. I am taking medication for both, but it doesn't seem to be working. So, I will talk to the doctor on Monday. Hopefully they will have another plan of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment