About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Beautiful Weather

Today is a great day. This is the first day in quite some time that I have felt well enough to really sit and enjoy the beautiful weather outside. There are so many blessings around me that I have been a little negligent in recognizing. I know it's easy to do when you are feeling lousy, but you feel so encouraged when you remember all the wonderful things and people around you.

Yesterday I went to the Heart Failure Clinic because I had quite a bit of swelling in my stomach and legs, not to mention fluid in my lungs and difficulty breathing when I tried to lay down. They did a bunch of lab work and found everything to be pretty good. They gave me IV Lasix, which helped me to shed 7 pounds of fluid yesterday (yes, that is quite a few trips to the bathroom!!!LOL), which led to me feeling wonderful today. I will have to go back for a follow up visit on Thursday, but I already know I am doing so much better. In fact, I am going to make chicken enchiladas for dinner. (OK, my Dad is going to make them and I am going to supervise.:-)

Several people have asked me in the last week if I have had a difficult time holding on to my faith through this ordeal. It's a funny question, because I know my faith grows stronger with each day. I was telling my sister today that when the pain has gotten really rough, it is then that I pray for God's strength because I know I cannot make it on my own. Then I just watch as God carries me through the day. He gives us strength enough to overcome day by day. I don't enjoy those days coming, but they grow me and my faith exponentially because I realize how to let go and let God and I am able to see how it is God through me and not my own strength. I would encourage each of you to find a situation that you feel overwhelmed with, and pray for God's wisdom and strength to supersede your own... you'll be amazed at what He will do when you ask Him!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you Melissa and praying for you too. I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the weather.

    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete