About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good Morning (from Ray)

As you've read, this week has been a tough one. From hearing that Missy's best bet is a transplant and processing that information, we've now been in the hospital since late Friday. Missy's BP dropped very low, plus she'd been vomiting, which made matters worse. After a night in the ER, we ended up in one room, then another one where she could be administered an IV to bring her blood pressure back up to normal.

I am pleased to report that she slept soundly all night (save for the poking and prodding around 3:00am) and feels great this morning. Her BP is holding strong with the IV's assistance. One doctor's already been in checking on her, and he's working on a plan to hold her BP up in the normal range.

We're also expecting Missy's cardiologist this morning. We're fully expecting him to tell us that we need to go this week or next to OSU for transplant evaluation. While we know it's a necessary step, the prospect of a transplant is still terrifying, but the alternative is just as terrifying. Please continue to keep us in your prayers - we're going to need them now more than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment