About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

OSU Awaiting Transplant Evaluation

Well, I'm sitting here in my new bed at OSU Heart Hospital awaiting evaluation to begin tomorrow for the transplant. They will be performing a slew of tests tomorrow including a heart catheritization, MRI of the heart, and various blood and hormone tests.

After our arrival here a few hours ago, we are feeling a bit more at ease... but still have a long way to go. The team here has been crazy attentive. I had a small arrhythmia tonight and within 30 seconds the nurse and the doctor were at my bed side discussing it (it is probably just an effect of my potassium and electrolytes being a little low). The staff are excellent and the facilities are really top notch.

I will be able to have visitors at any time - room 6010. However, please keep in mind that I have a bunch of tests this week and may be in and out. Also, tomorrow morning we will be meeting the team of doctors, residents, and nurses that will be with us through this journey. Please pray for their wisdom and guidance that they will know how to give us the best care possible.

This has been such a difficult time for Ray and I, and we would both really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. We know that God has a plan and we are praying that our faith will remain strong and that He will give us the strength to get through this operation.

1 comment:

  1. Missy & Ray,

    Know that Lois and I are praying for you both in all of this. We are praying for the doctors, nurses, treatments. I'm sorry I/we have been out of the loop with all that has been going on, but know that you are both in my/our daily prayers. I'm trying to work it out so that I can come see you this week - probably Thursday & Friday if that's good for you. Let me know. I/we love you both very much!!!!

    ReplyDelete