About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Tuesday Like No Other (from Ray)

As you might imagine, we're still at OSU. After a good night's sleep, Missy's day started pretty roughly. It turned out that, after 120 mg (I think it's mg...) of lasix, they took too much fluid off yesterday, which wreaked havoc on her body. Plus about 10 doctors came through before noon today, from dermatology to physical therapy. The PT consult made her go for a walk, which made her vomit. To top it all off, she was NPO all day (about 18 hours total), so that made matters even worse.

The biggest news from today is that she now has what's called a swan catheter in her neck. They did the procedure (which included another heart catheterization in her leg) without using any general pain killers or anesthetics because they were too nervous that she would stop breathing. So now I'm sitting in her room, watching a screen full of various pressures being measured real time from a scary-looking set of wires sticking out the right side of her neck. Additionally, she's bed-ridden for another 3 hours, and can't elevate her head too much, which is making her breathing very wheezy.

Needless to say, it's been an intensely dramatic day, and there may be more to come. So far, no tests have been ordered for tomorrow, but we'll see what her doctors say in the morning.

Thank you to all who have visited and called. Your thoughts and prayers are priceless to us during this time.

1 comment:

  1. Missy, Ray, and Family,
    Jim and I are continually praying and thinking about you. We love you.

    Jen and Jim Beaver

    ReplyDelete