About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, August 14, 2009

A Guest Post-- from her sister Nikki

I feel famous, I get my first blog guest spot! Missy is eating dinner (if you can call it that), she was lucky enough to get two desserts (if you can call the jello surprise dessert).

The end of this week has brought somewhat of a slowdown in testing. The SWAN device was removed this morning. While we are still waiting for a finalized plan, it looks as though Missy's condition is serious enough to warrant a transplant.

The snag is that because she has been in heart failure for quite some time, the pressure in her heart and lungs are very high. These pressures have to be brought down to about half of what they are currently before a transplant. So far, Missy has been unresponsive to the medications to accomplish this.

If she remains unresponsive to the medications it is likely Missy will need a Ventricular Assisted Device. This will require her to undergo open heart surgery next week. The device will do the work of her left ventricle so that it can rest. The VAD will pump so effectively that the pressure in her lungs should also go down over a period of time. Once the pressure goes down, she will be able to move forward with a transplant.

She is still tired from the week's events, but it appears she may be in the hospital for quite a while. I know she really enjoys having visitors and seeing friends and family. A few things can help these visits go a little more smoothly. It is a good idea to call Ray's cell phone before coming. He can let you know if she has any tests or procedures, he can also let you know if she is resting or sleeping. Also, Missy is extremely sensitive to smells, especially perfumes. She also prefers a relatively quiet environment. She enjoys quiet conversation, but don' expect her to be belting out karaoke for awhile :)

The whole family appreciates all the continued support and prayers. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful support network.

No comments:

Post a Comment