About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Good Saturday (from Ray)

I am happy to report that Missy had a really good day today! Good appetite, good BP readings, lowering pulse - all good improvements.

I think it's been a day or two since we've posted, and we have had some news. The doctors think that, since Missy's pressures are not getting better with medication, so the next step is a Left Ventricular Assist Device, or an LVAD. From what I understand, it's kind of like an internal bypass for the left side of Missy's heart, which allows her heart to rest, which in turn should bring down all of her high pressures. Her left side will still receive blood, but the LVAD will help the blood along. The LVAD is a "bridge to transplant," meaning that this is an interim step to bring the pressures down, which will in turn make her a perfect transplant candidate.

The LVAD is about 5 pounds and made of titanium (I haven't seen it or held it yet, but Missy has). It also has to connect to a computer and battery pack, which means there will be a wire leading from inside Missy's body to the packs. The batteries have about 6 hours of juice, so she'll have to be plugged in whenever an outlet is available. The LVAD also comes with a saw (to facilitate the open heart surgery that's required) as well as about 6 hours + of anesthesia. Oh yeah, and an additional 3 weeks in the hospital for recovery.

As you can imagine, this news was met with very mixed emotions, but, in the end, is the best option that will lead to the best results. Missy's expected LVAD timeline is about 6 months, although many people decide against a transplant because they feel so good with the LVAD and don't want to go on the myriad of anti-rejection and immunosuppressant medications that are required. In our case, though, we're definitely pulling for a transplant, because the LVAD is only designed for about 5 years of use.

Definitely keep us in your prayers - we're certainly going to need them in the upcoming weeks.

2 comments:

  1. i hope that u get your lvad soon and then a heart transplant soon after. i will be thinking and praying for you to be well soon. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    I have been thinking of you and praying for you all weekend. I pray the LVAD will help you as you wait on the transplant. Praying for God's perfect timing and the perfect donor for you.

    With Love,
    Heather Braswell

    ReplyDelete