About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Two Walks (from Ray)

So today passed without much fanfare, too, which, trust me, is a very good thing. Missy got her remaining chest tube out (no botched stitching this time), sat in a chair for each meal, and took TWO walks in our section of the hallway today. As you can tell, she's making strides!

I got to stay in the room while the tubes were pulled out, and I also got my first lesson in changing the LVAD's drive line dressing, which wasn't as scary as I expected it to be.

Tomorrow, more of the same, and longer walks!

No comments:

Post a Comment