About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, August 21, 2009

A Great Friday (from Ray)

So today started very early with Missy's nurse washing her (the pic is from yesterday's bath - I didn't budge once I was so wiped!), sitting her in the chair for breakfast (toast and cream of wheat, bland but solid), and getting back in bed before I even woke up.


Today had Missy sitting in her chair for all three meals, and before dinner, she took her first post-op walk! If you saw her before the LVAD, she looks like a completely different person now. Of course, she's pretty tired most of the time, both physically and because of the pain meds, but she's on her way!


We have truly had the best nurses here. Our nurse last night (Lisa) took the time to explain what each and every measurement and line meant on Missy's monitor. Our nurse this evening (Megan), let us listen through her stethoscope to the LVAD, which sounds like a quiet vacuum cleaner.


So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment