About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, August 17, 2009

A New Week (from Ray)

Earlier today, we found out that Missy will most likely be having her LVAD surgery on Wednesday. Of course they can't say for sure, but her doctor said that there was time on the surgery schedule for that day. The surgeon did stop by earlier this evening to answer our questions and spend a little more time with us. It sounds like the first 2 days post-op will be rough, but the end result will be worth it.

He did say that there was a slight chance that, if Missy's right ventricle doesn't work as expected, they may need to put in an RVAD as well. The surgeon seemed very optimistic as to her post-op experience, mainly because she's in such good health other than her heart.

The surgeon did say he didn't like kids - he called them bacteria-encrusted monsters, or something very close to that.

As far as the day in general went, she had a fairly rough afternoon, but took some pain medication about 20 minutes ago and fell right to sleep.

Please know that your love, support and prayers throughout this time have been invaluable. We can't make it through without all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Guess that means I have four bacteria-encrusted monsters!!! Was that his way of saying stay away from children??? Funny!!

    ReplyDelete