About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blessings Abound

Even in the hospital, God provides blessings and encouragement. This morning I awoke to a care package put together by a nurse here at the hospital for me. In it was a card that read, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding." Then she wrote, "I can't imagine what you're going through, but I know I serve a big God who can do Great Things!" How very true... and God has already done great things in my life.

Well, gynecology won the war on what to do to stop my bleeding and I began a progesterone regiment last night. My bleeding has already slowed considerably. However, my blood thickness level has dropped extremely low, which means it will be a long stay in the hospital while they have to bring that back up. But praise God that I am feeling so much better. In fact, Ray and I walked our mile this morning with no problem!

As we walk the halls of the hospital, I am reminded of all the people who are struggling to survive and the families' pain of watching a loved one suffer. God has given my heart a new found sympathy (and often empathy) for their lives. I have been praying that God will use me to brighten their days any way I can.

I am so excited today is Veteran's Day. Although I am thankful to all our vets and current military personnel, I am most excited that everyone is on holiday and coming to see me!! LOL! I can't tell you how much I love company when you're stuck in the hospital. :-) So a special thank you to those who have come to visit and to those who will be coming!!

2 comments:

  1. So happy that you are feeling better and your bleeding has slowed down. Sounds like you have some great nurses there at the hospital. I remember when I had my gall bladder taken out and was in there for only a few days and I would have given anything to have a couple nice nurses. It makes it so much easier and better. I am sure that you can brighten anyones day if they give you a chance.

    Hang in there. I am still praying : )

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa & Ray!
    I lost contact after graduation, but found you again on Facebook! Carolyn Hamman requested prayer for you at church and I asked her if it was the same one I was thinking of and she told me what was going on. My thoughts & prayers go out to you both and we're going to have to get together some time. There's a lot going on in our lives right now, I just started my third trimester and we're expecting our first child in early February. Love you both and hope & prayers too.
    Missy (Gearheart) Potter
    http://thespanishleprechaun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete