About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

God's Hands

Yesterday we got a visit from a colleague and his wife (Jim and Pam). They brought a very encouraging card from my co-workers, who have been so uplifting through this entire ordeal. The card was filled with reminders that they were still thinking and praying for Ray and I. I will never be able to express how grateful I am to be blessed with such remarkable people in my life.

Jim and Pam also brought a present (porcelain hands). They explained to me that they had given these hands to a man who had cancer, and he was healed. What a beautiful sentiment that they wanted to give God's healing to me as well. The card read, "Life is a gift from God. Day after Day, he showers us with His most precious stones: Beauty, Love, Abundance... Life!" Then there were stones to place into the hands. Thank you for such a thoughtful and powerful gift.

My blood thinness level was still really low today... meaning several more days in the hospital. But I am still determined to get out before Thanksgiving. :-) Today we will be spending the day watching the famous OSU vs Michigan game. I have never really been a football fan; however, my family is. So, I decided to give it a chance. I watched my first OSU game with my Mom this season and I will always cherish that time together with her.

Also, the doctor gave me fantastic news... I CAN GO SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY!!!! Admittedly, I am one of those nuts that LOVES black Friday. The shopping, the deals, the people, the getting up at 3 am, the thrill of getting exactly what you wanted for half the price. It is one of my favorite days of the year. I was really bummed about missing it and had resigned myself to spending the day Internet shopping. However, as it turns out, my doctor was in favor of me going. YEAH!! Ray isn't all that excited about it because he worries so much for me, but I think he is beginning to come around. :-)

Isn't it awesome the way God sends us tiny blessings in the midst of our storms?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I just happened on your blog. I hope all goes well for you. My husband had a heart transplant 10 months ago and is finally starting to feel normal physically. It has been a long, difficult road but it has definately been worth it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete