About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Surgery Went Well

Yesterday's DNC seems to have taken care of the bleeding issue. YEAH!! It was a quick surgery but I was out for about 17 hours from the anesthesia... which also made me throw up for about 4 hours. But today I am feeling really well. Praise God!

So, my doctors have started me back on blood thinners. I will have to stay in the hospital until my blood is at the right level, which could take up to a week. But another blessing... I should be home before Thanksgiving! :-)

Today I went to a support meeting here at the hospital for VAD and heart transplant patients and their families. It was really nice to get to meet other patients on the floor and to see that there is normal life after the transplant. God has given me so many blessings in the face of these trials.

Well, I'm starting to get bored here at the hospital because I'm feeling well again. So, I would love visitors or phone calls. My family and friends have been wonderful and I thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    God is good!! So happy to hear that your surgery went well. That is excellent news that it helped the bleeding issue. Sorry to hear that you were sick. That is definitely not a fun thing at all.

    Hope you are released soon and at home just in time for Thanksgiving.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. gastroenterology in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete