About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Hospital Humor

Still in the hospital. The bleeding is fixed but now we are waiting on my INR (blood thinness level) to come back up. Will probably be here for several more days.

We have had some funny things happen to us this visit. When I was first admitted, my nurse put her stethoscope up to my heart and then yelled, "Oh crap" and ran out of the room. I was terrified at what was wrong. I asked her what she heard and she said, "Oh, I just realized I dated something wrong and went to fix it." Not so funny at the time, but funny now. :-)

We also try to walk a few miles a day. One mile is 13 laps around the hospital. On one of our daily laps, we saw an older gentlemen using the bedside commode with the curtain completely open. LOL!

Thank you to all the visitors that have come. Yesterday two of my old colleagues came to visit (thanks Jimmy D and Joe). They brought us some goodies that we really enjoyed last night. It is amazing how small acts of kindness really speak to our hearts. It reminded me how important it is for us to always be reaching out to others in need. God has really been giving us the opportunity to encourage our neighbors here in the hospital. On both sides of me, the men are undergoing difficult tests and their families are so worried. It is such a blessing to be able to encourage them and be reminded that everything in life has a purpose. God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment