About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Home Away From Home

Yep, back in the hospital again. Lately I have felt so good and have really been thankful for all the wonderful time I have gotten to spend with family and friends. I have been so blessed to be feeling so well. Then this week, I have been feeling progressively worse until tonight I had to return to the hospital.

I was feeling extremely fatigued and would get dizzy and light-headed just from standing up (I know my mom and sisters are reading this thinking, she is dizzy and light-headed anyway...lol). Anyway, when I got to the hospital around 9 last night, they started testing. Turns out my hemoglobin (which is supposed to be around 12-16 and anything less than 8 is considered severely low) is 5.5. Yes, 5.5. The nurse asked me how I even made it in to the hospital. :-) So, as we speak I am getting a blood transfusion. And yes, it is 3:45 in the morning and I haven't been able to sleep yet. But I have only received the first of two units and I already feel a little better. So, once again, I am so thankful that God has watched over me and blessed me with an easy cure. And thanks to everyone who has ever donated blood - it really does save a life!

Not sure how long they will keep me here in the hospital, but we will try to keep the blog updated. We love hearing from all of you and visiting with you if you get the chance. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    Sorry to hear that you are back in the hospital, but so happy and relieved to hear that you are getting blood and feeling much better. Keeping you in my prayers and hope that you will be heading home soon.

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete