About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Friday, November 13, 2009

You Can Get In But You Can't Get Out

Day 5 in the hospital today, and I seem to be in the same condition I was when I came in. :-p As I am typing, I am receiving another 2 units of blood because my hemoglobin has dropped to 6.4 again. I am still taking the progesterone that gynecology prescribed to stop the bleeding...but have had very little luck getting it to stop. My doctor is back in town today and I am hoping to convince him to do SOMETHING to stop the bleeding. I believe he is still leaning towards a DNC. Not that I am excited about surgery, but it has to be better than a two week period. :-)

Admittedly my spirits are down a little today. Any extended time in the hospital is difficult. Ray and I often don't share how difficult this illness has been for both of us. Sometimes I think that is pride and sometimes it is just too painful to share. But it has taught us to reach out to those who are suffering and in need. It has become a daily prayer of mine to be used to reach others in need.

1 comment: