About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Rough Day (from Ray)

Like how I rhymed my post title?? ;-)

So it's been a very difficult day here at the hospital. Last night, Missy was feeling crappy when I got in from work; by 7pm she had a fever of about 101, then around 9pm it spiked to about 103. The pattern (yes, it's happened several times) has been chills bad enough to rattle the bed, then a high fever, then the fever breaks with bad sweating. Sounds fun, huh?

The docs ordered blood cultures last night, which take some time to show anything growing. Earlier today they grew a bacteria, but they're not sure what it is yet. Missy's been through a set of x-rays (to rule out pneumonia), another set of cultures, and she just got carted off to a CT scan of her abdomen.

We're both pretty frightened about what's happening, especially since the risk of infection is so high and the repercussions could be so horrible with the VAD. Please continue to pray for her body's healing and for the doctors as they treat this new issue.

On an upbeat note, happy birthday to Missy's brother, Tim! Sorry we couldn't celebrate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment