About Me

In March 2009 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - Heart Failure. Within two months, it progressed to end-stage. In August 2009 I had a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) implanted to help my heart pump blood. Then in December I was placed on the heart transplant list. On January 11, 2010 a heart became available for me and I was taken to the operating room. While on the table, the surgeons found that my own heart had began to heal. I didn't get that transplant and subsequently had my LVAD removed in September 2010. Today, I have a new appreciation for life and am learning to take each day one step at a time.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

You Can Get In... But You Can't Get Out!

Well, after getting two units of blood Sunday night, my hemoglobin rose to 8.5 (still quite low, but better). Then this morning, it was back down to 6.5 because of all the blood I am still losing. So, as we speak, I am getting another three units of blood.

My doctor sat with us for quite a while last night explaining that they haven't really had too much experience with this. Gynecology would like to give me progesterone to help stop the bleeding; however, my doctor is afraid the progesterone will cause blood clots that could get caught in my heart pump. My doctor is thinking he would like for me to have a DNC; however, gynecology is opposed to the surgery because they think that scraping the uterus could cause even more bleeding and make the problem worse. My doctor said we needed to wait a few days before we could do anything anyway to take me off the blood thinners and let my blood thicken up. However, I think time is of the essence since I am losing so much blood so fast. At this rate, I will have to get more blood each morning.

The real risk in getting blood transfusions is that my body will produce antibodies with each new unit of blood. When I have the heart transplant, the more antibodies I have, the higher the risk that my body will reject the heart.

So, what I thought would be a quick trip to the hospital has resulted in at least a week's stay. :-) But the nurses and staff here are so wonderful and I have had lots of visitors. God has really blessed me. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Melissa... I was hoping that the next post I heard from you would be from the comfort of your own home. I am so sorry. Continuing to keep you uplifted in prayer.

    Prayers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete